Saturday, January 2, 2016

Surfing the Crimson Wave

Yeah, it's not what you think it is.

But occasionally, very occasionally, I hit what I like to call a "sweet spot" or a "gusher" with my cannula. So when I pull the Pod off my body, aside from the usual sting of the tape ripping off, I also get a stream of blood running down my body, extremely disproportionate in size and velocity to the tiny, tiny hole the cannula created.

(Cannula=small, thin, plastic tube that does the dirty work of piping insulin into me)

It doesn't hurt, but it is a lot of blood, and I have to fumble around to contain it and recently it cost me a PJ shirt. The funny thing is, is that I'm pretty sure this is what people picture when they (I'm sure extremely rarely) imagine what it's like to change an insulin pump. So this is just a PSA, folks. It's not like pulling a tooth. You don't get a sweet view of my inner organs working like that fistulated cow I mentioned a few months ago. It's just a small mark, hardly noticeable, except when it's not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment